Cybersecurity is more than just choosing an antivirus like RAV Endpoint Protection and running with it. In 2023, you really need a full cybersecurity suite in order to protect both your device and your online browsing experience from any cyber threats.
In this article, we will establish what the Online Security browser extension does, how Chrome push notifications work, and why you need Online Security’s new features to defend against any issues that Chrome push notifications may present.
What are Chrome Push Notifications?
Chrome push notifications are messages used to communicate with you, even though you may not be on the particular website that is looking to engage with you. Sites sometimes request permission for Chrome push notifications. If the user approves the permissions, the sites can pop the notifications whenever they want, including outside of the browser.
What are the security and privacy risks involved in accepting Push Notifications?
There are a number of security and privacy risks you should be aware of regarding Chrome push notifications:
- Ads and 3rd-Parties: Websites sometimes sell these capabilities to ad networks and 3rd-parties in order to display ads
- Hackers: Threat actors can use these capabilities in order to spread fake or deceptive messages, flood the user’s device with spam, and trick people into installing malicious apps.
- Embedded Malware: The purpose of malware hidden in push notifications is either to deliver a flood of more ads (malvertising) to your browsing activities or to actually help hackers break into your accounts and steal money, data or identity.
- General annoyance: Aside from anything else, having to click so many times to close the pop-ups before you can read what you are actually trying to see online can be very frustrating!
- Bandwidth pressure: When the amount of push notifications becomes truly aggressive, they can use up all the bandwidth on your device.
Online Security – What’s in it for me?
Online Security is ReasonLab’s cybersecurity web extension that protects your device from malicious URLs, harmful extensions, suspicious downloads, intrusive cookies and trackers, unauthorized notifications, and pop-ups. Online Security brings all the elements of an antivirus solution to your web browser – ensuring your browsing experience stays secure and is out of reach of malware and privacy threats.
To combat all the push notification tricks and security risks mentioned above, the Online Security extension includes a “notifications control” feature, designed to provide users with peace and privacy. The “notifications control” feature can:
- Block notification permissions for intrusive or untrusted sites
- Alert the user whenever they have purposely, or inadvertently, allowed any permissions from other sites
- Provide the user with the option to revert any permissions decisions he has made
- Encourage the user to manage the full list of sites that they may have allowed or blocked in the past
Online Security offers a user-friendly dashboard so you can conveniently manage all push notifications in one place. You will also receive alerts as and when push notifications request permissions.
For more information on the Online Security browser extension, click here.